Sunday, August 26, 2012

From Zero to a Half Marathon in 7 Weeks!

One of the new initiatives that I took over in 2012 was to start coaching long distance runners. So, my rookie coaching year started with me coaching my close friend Venkatesh Prabhu (Venky). Venky wanted to take up running and I started coaching him in January 2012. Venky has been regularly working out at the gym for years, hence his stamina was good and he was able to finish the 10K in Auroville (on Feb 12, 2012) in 59 minutes. From there, it's no turning back for Venky and he's enjoying his running. He did the TCS 10K in 53 minutes on May 27, 2012. My first coaching effort was a success!

Speaking of the TCS 10K, I was surprised one day when a young lady at work walked up to my desk and asked me if I was a runner. I said "yes". Her next question was, "Do you religiously run?". I said, "Yes, I religiously run and do at least a 10K every time I run". Then I asked her if I can help her in any way. She told me that she wanted to take up running and that she hadn't run at all in her life. She expressed her desire to finish the TCS 10K in May 2012. We had over 2 months to go when I started coaching Andal and her close friend Preethy for the TCS 10K. I chalked out a training and diet plan for Andal & Preethy. I would pick them up on every running day and all 3 of us would go to Cubbon Park in Bangalore to train. This effort also paid off, and Andal & Preethy completed their very first 10K runs on May 27, 2012 at the TCS 10K running event in Bangalore.

Well, you might be wondering what this "From Zero to a Half Marathon in 7 Weeks" was all about... so, here starts the amazing story of 2 men who had never run in their lives training and completing an official Half Marathon race with just 7 weeks of training!. Yes, S-E-V-E-N weeks!

It all started with a phone call from my high school friend Alexander Vaidhyan (Alex). Alex and I were classmates from Kindergarten to 12th grade! We played basketball together in high school. So, yes, we knew each other very well. When I picked up the phone, we didn't spend too much time catching up, Alex went straight to the point. He paused and asked me, "Patrick, can I also run a Half Marathon?" My immediate response was, "Yes da, you can certainly do it". The Airel Hyderabad Half Marathon was exactly 7 weeks away and I told Alex he should aim for that. Alex promptly registered for the Half and I started an experiment. And, I chose my close childhood friend to experiment on. YEAH!

Here is the training plan that I came up for Alex:


Alex talked his friend Venkat also into training with him for the Half Marathon, and both Alex & Venkat started training religiously for the HM. A couple of weeks into the training Alex called me one day and told me that he was developing some pains on his shin and also a back strain. I asked him if he was landing on his toes while running. He replied affirmative. So, I advised him to present his full foot while running. This took care of his back strain. The shin and calf pains that occur for rookie runners also disappeared for Alex.

After 4 weeks of training, I met Alex in Chennai and we both ran together at the Marina beach in Chennai on Aug 12, 2012. That day I taught Alex the stretching that the Dream Runners' trainer Elango taught me earlier. Alex learnt his stretching exercises and started doing stretches before and after his runs.

On Aug 15th, Alex ran 20 km and was beaming with confidence! Venkat & Alex were raring to go and conquer the Airtel Hyderabad HM.

Meanwhile, I was chosen as a "Running Ambassador" by the AHM Organizers. Please click here to read my Running Ambassador story. Reading my story, Paras Shah from Mumbai emailed me and asked me to help him complete the Airtel  Hyderabad HM on Aug 26th. I never knew Paras before. So, I offered advice and tips to Paras via FB. This was Paras' first ever Half Marathon as well.

The day arrived. It was a chilly and cloudy morning in Hyderabad on Sunday, Aug 26, 2012. Alex, Venkat and I drove to the starting line. Paras met me at the starting line and shook my hands. Our adrenaline was pumping and off we went on one of the toughest marathon courses in India. Rolling hills, fly overs, head winds and to top it all, it started raining as well. I was worried about Alex when I crossed the finish line in 02:12 hrs. When I was stretching with the Dream Runners group from Chennai, my right calf muscle cramped so badly that Elango had to rush to help me. I was still worried about Alex!

A little later Alex's son Felix found me in Gachibowli stadium where we finished the run and told me that his dad Alex was looking for me. I heaved a big sigh of relief. Alex had finished the race and in the crowd I had missed his finishing moment. Nevertheless, he had FINISHED!! And, that's all mattered. I rushed to him and gave him a big bear hug. I also hugged Venkat and congratulated him as well.

I got my breakfast and sat down next to Alex. When I started eating, Alex's wife asked me if my experiment had succeeded! I replied to her, "Since testing on animals in now banned, I chose my close childhood friend for the experiment and I proved to the world that anybody can run a HM with just 7 weeks of training". Then I threw my hands in the air and yelled "EUREKA!!"

Here is a picture of Venkat, Alex and I after our Half Marathon finish!

From Left to Right: Venkat, Patrick and Alex.

I later found out that Paras Shah from Mumbai had also finished the HM in 02:23 hrs. Way to go Paras!!

I am writing this to encourage everybody that reads this story to get off your couches and get on the road, park or trail (you choose) and run! Yes, R-U-N!! Keep running folks, it is such a joy and in a way, "therapy" too!

Meanwhile, I have now completed 2000 km of running since Oct 2010. My next Half Marathon is the Wipro Half Marathon on Saturday, Sept 15, 2012 in Bangalore!

2 comments:

  1. Well done Patrick!! A job well started and well finished as well. It definitely will act as an inspiration to many couch potatoes. I have decided to swing my bat more this season and get back to the good old cricketing days! Wish you good luck in the forth coming marathons and your stints with the novices!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kanna, I am sure you would enjoy your cricket more and more. There's nothing worse than wasted talent. You may also think about coaching youngsters!

      Delete